Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ruminating

Don't mind the verbal chaos about to ensue. I have to mention I like the feature of being able to make text cuts, so as not to spew over everyone's screen. Anyway, not relevant. I wanted to answer the question: What is education to me? If I had to take a stab in the dark and without any academic support. Like I said, for me. Anys, I would say education is most decidedly not about getting students prepared for the work force. It makes it sound like our job is indoctrination. Make sure they're willing to do what they are told and never question. I think it is more about making global leaders, people who are knowledgeable and well-spoken. People who are capable of critical thinking and making a well-formed argument. Students need to know that while we are a powerful country, we are not the only country. I know history is often told from a national bias, but I think it is important to show other points of view as well. I don't want students to unquestioningly accept everything America does as gospel. I mean aren't we meant to question the government, so as to keep everything in check?

Okay, so that was much shorter than I expected. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment